Home   

  • 827 Greenleaf Street Evanston IL 60602
    42.03809, -87.683371
    PIN: 11-19-110-048-0000
  • Local

    Within Local District?: No

    Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?:

    Local Landmark?: Yes

    Year: 1982

    Local Landmark Eligible?:

    Criteria: A7

  • National Register

    NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib:

    Within District?: No

    NR Landmark?: No

    Year:

    NR Eligible?: No

    Criteria:

    Alternate Address?:

  • General Information

    Category: Residential

    Condition: Excellent

    Integrity: Excellent

    Current Use: Single Family Residential

    Historic Use: Single Family Residential

    Secondary Structure:

    NR Second:

  • Architectural Description

    Architectural Classification: Queen Anne

    Details: Two story bay window form with octagonal roof, shuttered windows, vergeboard, including truss work on brackets in front of gable, side dormer.

    Construction Year: c. 1879

    Other Year: 1890, 1925, 1944

    Date source: Landmark nomination

    Wall Material (Current): Wood/Wood Siding

    Wall Material 2 (Current): Wood shingles

    Plan: Square

    No of Stories: 2

    Roof Type: Cross-Gabled

    Roof Material: Asphalt

    Foundation: Brick

    Porch: portico

    Window Material: Wood

    Window Material 2: Storm Windows

    Window Type: Single Hung

    Window Configuration: 1-Jan

    Significance: Clapboard-clad frame building is the result of successive stages of construction typical of the 1880s.

    Historic Features: Portico, side dormer, vergeboard, bay window form, wood siding, shingles; under the low, broad main gable is an arched, hammerbeam truss carried on corbels and spanning a scalloped shingle gable, below the east elevation is a small porch with a shingled pediment carried on corbels and spanning a scalloped shingle gable, east of this is a polygonal bay with its roof rising to meet the main roof's silhouette, further to the east is an additional series of projections.

    Alterations: Retrofit storm windows.

  • Historic Information

    Old Address (city dir.year):

    Building Moved?:

    Moved From:

    Original Owner: Charles T. Bartlett (1925 garages)

    Original Architect: Charles T. Bartlett (1925 garages)

    Architect Source: 1925 Building Permit #14318 and #14319; and Statement of Significance at EHC (3-ring binder)

    Builder: Charles T. Bartlett (1925 garages)

    Surveyor: Susan Turner, AIA

    Surveyor Organization: The Lakota Group

    Survey Date: 10-Jul-15

    Survey Area:

  • Permit/Historic Information

    Current Address: 827 Greenleaf Street

    Old Address:

    Date of Construction: c. 1879

  • Permit Moving Information

    Moving Permit #:

    Date Moved:

  • Original Permit Information

    Building Permit #:

    Date: c. 1879. Remodeled c.1890 ?

    Building Permit Description:

    Cost:

    Original Owner Occupied?:

    Exterior Alteration Permits: 12FNCE-0002: Fence; 11MSWK-0160: Rebuild a 10 ft section of foundation on the E side of the bldg., install "bilco" brand basement door; 04RFS0000000302: Tear off and replace rf.

    Other Permit Information: 1925.17.09, Permit #14318 for 1-sty brick 5-car gar, size: 48'W x 18'L x 12'H, sost $1500, OWN C.T, Bartlett; 1925.17.09, permit #14319 for 1-sty brick 5-car gar, size: 48'W x 18'L x 12'H, cost $1500, OWN C.T, Bartlett; 1926.01.12, Permit #16007 for 1-sty frame gar add, cost $250. BLDR Henry Hulteen, OWN C.T, Bartlett; 1927.17.08, Permit #17067 for 1-sty concr 6-car gar, cost $1500, OWN C.T. Bartlett; 1944.08.04, Permit #24193 for a 1 and 1/2 sty frame house improvement with new entrance and stairway for new apartment for second flr, OWN E. Walder. BLDR Louis Larson; 1946.21.09; Permit #25065 for a conversion of 5-car concr gar to living quarters, cost $4000, OWN Laura B. Walder; 1950.21.09, Permit #27446 for a new rear entrance and improvement of frame house, cost $500, OWN E. Walder.

    COA Info: 12PRES-0002: Replace former existing rear yd fence 3'-6"H x 133' L with new fence on the same location, in same style (post and rail) and material (wd); 11PRES-0258: E side of house (N half of foundation area) - excavate a 10 foot segment of stone/cement foundation and replace with in kind material of cement/stone and attempt to match brick with in kind material (size/color/texture); 04HIS0000000132: Replace existing shingles in kind.

    Historic Info: EHC House Card states 1894 C. T. Bartlett owned and lived in house until his death in 1930.

    Other Sources:

    Historic Info Compiler:

    Volunteer: Leslie Cousineau, Tony Hurtig

Print-Friendly PDF
© 2019 PlaceVision Inc | Help | Privacy