Home   

  • 909 - 911 Gaffield Place Evanston IL 60201
    42.057128, -87.68391
    PIN: 11-07-120-035-0000
  • Local

    Within Local District?: No

    Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?:

    Local Landmark?: Yes

    Year: 1986

    Local Landmark Eligible?:

    Criteria: A5

  • National Register

    NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib:

    Within District?: No

    NR Landmark?: No

    Year:

    NR Eligible?: No

    Criteria:

    Alternate Address?:

  • General Information

    Category: Single Family Residential

    Condition: Good

    Integrity: Poor

    Current Use: Multi Family Residential

    Historic Use: Multi Family Reisdential

    Secondary Structure:

    NR Second:

  • Architectural Description

    Architectural Classification: Dutch Colonial Revival

    Details: Fanlight window on south elevation above second story; shingling pattern on second story.

    Construction Year: 1894

    Other Year:

    Date source: Landmark nomination

    Wall Material (Current): Vinyl Siding

    Wall Material 2 (Current): Wood Shingle

    Plan: Rectangular-Double House

    No of Stories: 2 1/2

    Roof Type: Gambrel

    Roof Material: Asphalt Shingle

    Foundation: Undetermined

    Porch: Enclosed front porch

    Window Material: Vinyl

    Window Material 2:

    Window Type: Double Hung

    Window Configuration: 1-Jan

    Significance: Designed in 1894 by architect John T. Long for Alexander Clark, this double house originally stood at 928 Judson Avenue. A permit taken out in 1926 by John Foster enabled the Free Methodist Church to move the house to its present location. One of several handsome double houses found in Evanston; clapboards (originally) on the first floor and shingles on the second, lend the house considerable visual texture. Interesting design details such as the corner polygonal tower incorporated into the massing of the house, the gambrel roofs, and ocular gable windows make it particularly distinctive in terms of design quality.

    Historic Features: Wood shingle second floor; gambrel roof shape on south elevation; gambrel window gable on west elevation; two story polygonal window bay on south elevation; roof line triangular dormer heads on south elevation; fanlight above second story windows on south elevation.

    Alterations: Windows have been replaced with vinyl clad; vinyl siding on first floor, all elevations.

  • Historic Information

    Old Address (city dir.year): 928 Judson Avenue

    Building Moved?: Yes

    Moved From: 928 Judson Avenue

    Original Owner: John A. McDonaugh

    Original Architect: John T. Long

    Architect Source: Statement of Significance at EHC, 3-ring binder.

    Builder:

    Surveyor: Nick Kalogeresis

    Surveyor Organization: The Lakota Group

    Survey Date: 22-Jul-15

    Survey Area:

  • Permit/Historic Information

    Current Address: 909-911 Gaffield Place

    Old Address: 928 Judson Avenue

    Date of Construction: 1894

  • Permit Moving Information

    Moving Permit #: #564

    Date Moved: 1926.10.04

  • Original Permit Information

    Building Permit #: BP 1289

    Date: 1894 Source: Evanston History Center Archives (3-ring binder) 1899.23.03

    Building Permit Description: 2-story dwelling. 22'W x 30'L x 27'H

    Cost: $1,000

    Original Owner Occupied?:

    Exterior Alteration Permits: 12ROOF-0342: Tear off and replace shingle rf; 03IER0000000067: Interior modifications 1st and 2nd flr and por repair.

    Other Permit Information: 1900.09.03, Permit #1407, for 1-story barn at rear of 906 Gaffield. 20'W x 26'L x 14'H. 1926.21.04 Moving permit #567 found for 1-story building at 911 Gaffield moved to 910 Noyes. 1951.15.01, Permit #27623 for 2nd floor apartment with new entrance. 2-Feb-2004, BP#03IER-00000-00067 to repair rear sun porch as part of larger interior renovation to 909 Gaffield. Drawings included. OWN Richard Kraft. COST: $1,000-$2,000. (microfiche)

    COA Info: 12PRES-0220: Replacement of asph shingle rf with new asph shingle rf - complementary color to existing rf.

    Historic Info: Source: Evanston History Center Archives (3-ring binder) STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE: A5 Designed in 1894 by architect John T. Long for Alexander Clark, this double house originally stood at 928 Judson Avenue. A permit taken out in 1926 by John Foster enabled the Free Methodist Church to move the house to its present location. Its scale, compared to the other structures on the street, makes it quite clear that the building was not originally located here. One of several handsome double houses found in Evanston; clapboards on the first floor and shingles on the second, lend the house considerable visual texture. Interesting design details such as the corner polygonal tower incorporated into the massing of the house, the gambrel roofs, and ocular gable windows make it particularly distinctive in terms of design quality.

    Other Sources:

    Historic Info Compiler:

    Volunteer: Leslie Cousineau, Tony Hurtig

Print-Friendly PDF
© 2019 PlaceVision Inc | Help | Privacy